Dr. Monzurul Roni joined the School of Pharmacy at Hampton University as Assistant Professor of Pharmacology in 2014. Dr. Roni is the course coordinator and instructor of Anatomy & Physiology (PHA 321), Drug and Disease State Management modules (PHA 480 and 482), and Introduction to Toxicology (PHA 522). Dr. Roni is also the faculty advisor of Student National Pharmaceutical Association (SNPhA) at Hampton University. Dr. Roni has interest in translational pharmaceutical research including behavioral and molecular pharmacology.
Ph.D. (Pharmaceutical Sciences), South Dakota State University
- Bagdas D, AlSharari S, Roni MA, Campbell VC, Muldoon PP, Carroll FI, Damaj MI. Blockade of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor enhances the responsiveness to bupropion in the mouse forced swim test. Behavioural Brain Research. 2019; 360:262-269.
- Dawson A, Wolstenholme JT, Roni MA, Campbell VC, Jackson A, Slater C, Bagdas D, Perez EE, Bettinger JC, De Biasi M, Miles MF, Damaj MI. Knockout of alpha 5 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors subunit alters ethanol-mediated behavioral effects and rewards in mice. Neuropharmacology 2018; 138:341-348.
- Roni MA, Rahman S. Lobeline attenuates ethanol abstinence-induced depression-like behavior in mice. Alcohol 2017; 61:63-70.
- Roni MA. Black-box warning for antidepressants. MOJ Bioequiv Availab 2016; 2:15.
- Roni MA, Rahman S. Effects of lobeline and reboxetine, fluoxetine, or bupropion combination on depression-like behaviors in mice. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2015; 139:1-6.
- Roni MA, Rahman S. The effects of lobeline on depression-like behavior and hippocampal cell proliferation following chronic stress in mice. Neurosci Lett 2015; 584:7-11.
- Roni MA, Rahman S. The effects of lobeline on nicotine withdrawal-induced depression-like behavior in mice. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2014; 231:2989-2998.
- Roni MA, Rahman S. Antidepressant-like effects of lobeline in mice: Behavioral, neurochemical, and neuroendocrine evidence. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2013; 41:44-51.
- Roni MA, Rahman S. Neuronal nicotinic receptor antagonist reduces anxiety-like behavior in mice. Neurosci Lett 2011; 504:237-241.
Awards and Honors
- Academic Excellence Faculty Award 2017, Hampton University
- Professor of the year 2018 and 2016, Hampton University School of Pharmacy.
- Member of the year 2014, AAPS student chapter at South Dakota State University (SDSU).
- Elsevier Outstanding Reviewer of Neuroscience Letters
- Society for Neuroscience (SFN).
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)
- Rho Chi honors society