Ayman M. Noreddin, Ph.D, RPh.
Professor and Chair
Department of Pharmacy Practice
Dr. Noreddin joined the School of Pharmacy at Hampton University in August 2009 as chairperson of the Department of Pharmacy Practice. His ultimate goal is to promote the department’s academic excellence in teaching, service and scholarly activities. Dr. Noreddin has outstanding records of scientific and academic accomplishments with multiple research funding, numerous publications in highly prestigious journals and various presentations in both national and international conferences. He served as a scientific reviewer for the NIH as well as other national and international research institutions.
- Leadership Fellow, Academic Leadership Program, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- Fellowship, Infectious Disease Research Fellowship. American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- Fellowship, Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) Research Fellowship, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba
- Visiting Scholar (Molecular Biology and Cancer Research), School of Medicine, Stanford University
- Ph.D., Pharmaceutical Sciences (Clinical Pharmacy), School of Pharmacy , University of the Pacific
- M.Sc., Pharmaceutical Sciences (Biochemistry), Faculty of Pharmacy , Cairo University
- BS Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy , Cairo University
- Pharmacoklinetic/Pharmacodynamic modeling and clinical simulation of anti-infective therapy
- Pharmacoklinetic/Pharmacodynamic modeling and clinical simulation of anti-cancer therapy
- Bacterial resistance in biofilm studies
- Minority health care studies
- Anti-infective translational research in relation to antimicrobial resistance: Our goal is to improve patient care by maximizing clinical outcomes and preventing the development of bacterial resistance.
- Anti-Cancer translational research in relation to 3D modeling and epigenetic studies: Our goal is to optimize cancer chemotherapy and overcome/reverse the development of resistance
Approach taken by my research program is defined by both bench investigations as well as clinical simulation studies:
- In-Vitro Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic(PK/PD) modeling of anti-infective therapy
Cutting edge in-vitro pharmacodynamic modeling techniques (for both planktonic as well as biofilm growing cells) are utilized to mimic concentration-time profile and populations encountered in patients. Our goal is to design strategies that optimize anti-infective efficacy and prevent the selection of drug resistant mutants during anti-infective therapy.
- In-Vitro Pharmacokinetic/Pharamcodynamic(PK/PD) modeling of cancer chemotherapy Advanced 3D cell culture models to evaluate administration schedules for anti-cancer agents and epigenetic studies to optimize clinical outcome.
- Mathematical modeling and clinical simulation analysis
This translational approach involves integration of pre-clinical pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic data as well as early clinical pharmacokinetics/population pharmacokinetics data into mathematical modeling and Monte Carlo simulation routines. Our goal is to elucidate exposure-response relationship for target identification and optimal design of clinical trials.
- Ahmed GF, Elkhatib WF, and Noreddin AM. Inhibition of adhesion and invasion of Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 to A549 lung epithelial cells by some natural extracts. Journal of Infection and Public Health. (In press)
- Salem AH and Noreddin AM. Moxiflocacin in lower respiratory tract infections: in silico simulation of different bacterial resistance and drug exposure scenarios. Journal of Chemotherapy. Available online, 6, 2013.
- Zhanel GG,
Noreddin AM, Hoban
DJ, Karlowsky JA
Assessment of the activity of ceftaroline against clinical isolates of penicillin-intermediate and penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae with elevated MICs of ceftaroline using an in vitro pharmacodynamic model. J Antimicrob Chemother.67(7):1706-11, 2012.
- Noreddin AM, Elkhatib WF, Cunnion KG and Ghanel GG. Cumulative clinical experience from over a decade of use of levofloxacin in community acquired pneumonia; critical appraisal and role in therapy", Drug, Healthcare and Patient Safety.3:59-68,2011.
- Salem A, Noreddin E, Zhanel G, Noreddin A. Comparative pharmacodynamics of ceftobiprole, daptomycin, linezolid, telavancin, tigecycline, and vancomycin in the treatment of methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus: a monte carlo simulation Analysis. J Vaccines. 2:5,2011.
- Zhanel GG, Rossnagel E, Nichol K, Cox L, Karlowsky JA, Zelenitsky S, Noreddin AM, Hoban DJ. Ceftaroline pharmacodynamic activity versus community-associated and healthcare-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, heteroresistant vancomycin-intermediate S. aureus, vancomycin-intermediate S. aureus and vancomycin-resistant S. aureus using an in vitro model.J Antimicrob Chemother.66(6):1301-5,2011.
- Ayman M. Noreddin and Walid F. ElKhatib Antibacterial Therapy in the Elderly. In: Frontiers in Anti-Infective Drug Discovery.1:1-12, 2010.
- Salem AH, Elkhatib WF, and Noreddin AM. Pharmacodynamic assessment of vancomycin-rifampicin combination against methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus biofilm: a parametric response surface analysis. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 63:73-79,2010.
- Salem AH, Elkhatib WF, Ahmed GF, Noreddin AM. Pharmacodynamics of moxifloxacin versus vancomycin against biofilms of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and epidermidis in an in vitro model.J Chemother.22(4):238-42,2010
- Noreddin AM and Elkhatib WF. Levofloxacin in the Treatment of Community Acquired Pneumonia. Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther.8(5):505-14,2010.
- Galal AM, Gul W, Noreddin AM, Slade D. An Update on the synthesis and antibacterial effects of Carbapenems. Recent Pat Antiinfect Drug Discov.5:23-42,2010.
- Ghada F. Ahmed and Ayman M. Noreddin. Application of Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) in Designing Effective Antibiotic Treatment Regimens, "Readings in Advanced Pharmacokinetics - Theory, Methods and Applications", InTech open access publisher.2012.
- Daniel Lexcen, Ahemd Salem, Walid El-khatib, Virginia Haynes and Ayman Noreddin, Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic (PK/PD) modeling of anti-neoplastic agents, "Readings in Advanced Pharmacokinetics - Theory, Methods and Applications", InTech open access publisher.2012.
- Ayman M. Noreddin, Ghada F. Ahmed, Walid F. Elkhatib, Ehab M. Noreddin and Atef M. Shibl. Inhibition of Adhesion and Invasion of Pseudomonas aeruginosa to Lung Epithelial Cells: A model of Cystic Fibrosis infection", Lung Diseases, InTech open access publisher.2011.
- Ayman M. Noreddin and Walid F. ElKhatib Antibacterial Therapy in the Elderly. In: Frontiers in Anti-Infective Drug Discovery, Bentham Science Publishers Ltd, 2010.
- George G. Zhanel and Ayman M. Noreddin Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of the New Generation Quinolones. In: Recent Advances in Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Global reviews, 2004.
- Zhanel G and Noreddin A Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) of Fluoroquinolones: Tools for Combating Bacteria and Preventing Resistance. In: The Quinolones: An Unfolding Story. (Biosciences (Milestones in Drug Therapy), Birkhauser, Verlag AG, Basel, Switzerland, 2003.
Honors and Awards
- Member of the Organizing Committee, Plenary Speaker, International Summit on Clinical
- Pharmacy and Dispensing, San Antonio, TX, 2013
- Member of Organizing Committee, Keynote Speaker and Chair, International Congress on
- Bacteriology and Infectious Diseases, Baltimore, 2013
- Co-Chair, Infectious Diseases Session, International Conference on Clinical Microbiology and
- Microbial Genomics, San Antonio, TX, 2012
- Session Chair, Clinical trial-Part II, TM's 2nd World Drug Discovery online conference, 2012
- Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Tumor Therapy, 2012
- Board member, Egyptian Cancer Network 2011
- Invited speaker: Meet-the-Professor Session, Infectious Diseases Society of America meeting
- 49th Annual Meeting, 2011
- Session Chair, Clinical trial-Part II, TM's 1st World Drug Discovery online conference, 2011
- Member of the advisory council for Egypt Cancer Network, 2011
- Member of the Scientific Board, IN-Tech-Open Access Publisher, 2011
- Editor in Chief. InTech- Open Access Publisher, 2011
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Drug Metabolism & Toxicology, 2011
- Member of the Editorial Board of International Scholarly Research Network
- (ISRN) Pulmonology, 2011
- Invited advisor to the Faculty of Pharmacy, Al-Fateh University, Tripoli, Libya, 2010.
- Member of the editorial board of the "Egyptian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences", Cairo
- University, Cairo, Egypt, 2010
- Elected advisor. Multicultural Pharmacy Students Organization, University of Minnesota,
- Duluth, 2008
- Advisor for the Pharm.D. 2012 class, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Duluth,
- Teacher of the Year, College of Pharmacy, Duluth, University of Minnesota, 2007-2008
- Teacher of the Semester, College of Pharmacy, Duluth, University of Minnesota, Fall 2007
- Member of the Scientific Review Program, Division of Extramural Activities, National
- Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health (NIH),
- Department of Health & Human Services, 2008
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy/Aventis Pharmacotherapy Research Fellowship
- (Infectious Diseases), 2002
- Director of the continuing education and research committee - Saudi Pharmaceutical
- Society, 1996
- Membership in the Rho Chi Pharmaceutical Honorary Society, CA, USA, 1986
- Graduate Students Fellowship, School of Pharmacy, University of the Pacific, 1985
- Graduate Students Representative, School of Pharmacy, University of the Pacific, 1985
- Oncology Project Grant for Pharmacy Students, the American Cancer Society, California, 1985
- Peace Fellowship to conduct graduate study in the USA, 1984
- The Rho Chi Society (Pharmaceutical Honor Society)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy
- International Society of antimicrobial Pharmacology
- Society of Infectious diseases Pharmacists
- American Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy